Whole wheat dough for Rotis and Paranthas!





I know you all are thinking that what is a big deal about making the dough. It is one of the simplest things in the world. I used to think the same until my newly wed daughter in law told me that she dreaded to make chapatis because she cannot make the proper dough. My thoughts went way back in my childhood . I went back to those days when my mom taught me to make the dough.  I never wanted to make the dough either .They made my beautiful manicured hands all messy. But there was no choice. This was something we had to do twice a day.  Whole wheat dough  is made everyday in indian house holds. Dough making is a work of art and practice. There are mainly two factors to take care. First is the texture of the ground wheat. My mom used to buy wheat, wash the wheat and then sun dry before taking them to  the Atta Chakki(Flour  Mill) and asked them to grind the wheat not too fine. She told us that very fine flour is not good for intestines. She used to give all these biology lessons while teaching us cooking. Anyway , nowadays nobody goes to the Atta Chakki. We all get packed bags of Wheat flour. We just choose the brands. I personally find the Laxmi brand and Golden Temple brand with red label the best one in US. If you are from Delhi , Rapid Flour Mills is well known .

Now  , Let us master the art of making dough.

Ingredients:

Wheat Flour : 2 cups
  Water        : 1 cup

Method:

  1. Take a big bowl and put 2 cups of flour in it.
  2. Now put half and cup of water in the flour and mix it with your hands. If the dough does not come together, gradually ,add two tablespoons of water at a time and mix it .
  3. Take a kitchen napkin. Rinse it will water . Cover the dough bowl with the damp napkin. Let the dough rest for 15-20 minutes. 
  4. After 20 minutes knead the dough once again for a minute  with closed palm .Keeping working till u feel the softness .
  5. Dough is ready to make chapati or parantha.



Comments

Popular Posts