Brainstorming Thanksgiving menu with Indian flair! ( Gluten Free)


  This week I am busy removing all the decorations for diwali except the  strings of lights. They will be there till new year.After an awesome diwali, we are moving towards the next festival of the season, Thanksgiving!
I love the idea of amalgamating Indian and American cultures, decorations and food.  I started by decorating with  fall colors like  oranges , greens and yellows as soon as fall started. But these are the colors of diwali also.  I added  diyas to the decor and we were all set for diwali. As I was cooking for diwali in the kitchen , my husband was distributing candy  to children for halloween from our porch. I have never had a thanksgiving dinner at my place. It is always at our friends house. This year she will be visiting her daughter for thanksgiving. She has been making wonderful and very tasty traditional Thanksgiving recipes all these years. With her not being around , I am gathering all my courage to have thanksgiving at my place. Once I am able to set the menu, half the battle is won. I will start testing my recipes then. I want to keep the same ingredients as traditional thanksgiving and give it an Indian flair. Your comments and suggestions will be invaluable in this venture!

So far my menu looks like


  1. Tandoori turkey decorated with red onion rings, lemon and orange wedges.
  2. Thin  cilantro mint chutney with plain yogurt to replace gravy.
  3. Crisp fried diced new red potatoes and red onions with cumin and red chilli flakes and chaat masala.
  4. Green beans with grated frozen coconut tempered with mustard seeds.
  5. Creamy Spinach with corn.
  6. Sweet and Sour butternut squash( khatta meetha kaddu)
  7.  Rice and moong lentils stew with winter vegetables temepered with crystalised onions.( Khichri with sabzi).
For dessert , I am planning to have pumpkin phirni !


 I will get back to you with these recipes soon!







Comments

Popular Posts