Diwali Celebrations!


 Our diwali celebrations kicked off by the diwali dinner and card party on DhanTeras ( two days before diwali) with our very close friends. It is customary to buy something on this day.  I ordered  the shredder attachment  for Kitchen Maid Mixer stand the first thing in the morning . I  got a great deal with Zappos.com with free shipping. I make a lot of gajar halwa in winter and  the vegetable shredder will come handy.After the main custom out of the way. I concentrated on my cooking. My brother in law  is visiting us from India . He took the responsiblity to hang  the lights.My husband designated himself as the officail food taster. The menu was simple . Turned on old hindi songs music, lighted the diyas, laid the table and we were all set for the party.

For appetizers we had
  1. Golgappa chaat in martini glasses
  2. Moong dal pakoris with cilatro mint chutney
  3. Paneer tikka 
  4. Dry nuts and  Masala puffed rice mixture!
For main course we had

  1. Punjabi Kadhi Pakora
  2. Chole
  3. Gobi Aloo
  4. Malai Kofta
  5. Chicken Masala
Sides were

  1. Rice 
  2. Raita
  3. Naan
For desserts we had

Assorted  fresh mithais my brother in law brought from India  and my coconut laddoos.
We also had malai kulfi I had made well in advance.

Old Indian songs, good Indian food and  close friends. It was a fun filled evening which everyone enjoyed.Some of us were playing cards while others were just catching up . Return gifts were assorted dry fruits in traditional Indian golden bags called gutthi. I will chrish this diwali forever. I liked the idea of having a party on Dhan Teras day. It gives a lot of time entirely with  your own family. May you all have a wonderful year and life ahead! Happy Diwali!



Comments

Popular Posts